Woman's husband's ashes have been recovered

- After being without her husband's ashes for three days, Mary Wilkinson says police called her letting her know that her husband's ashes had been recovered. 

According to the SF Gate, police say a man "dropped off" the ashes at a station. 

Just hours after arriving in San Francisco Wednesday afternoon, Mary Wilkinson says her husband's ashes were stolen from her rental car.

She and her daughter Julia say were devastated for days.

Shortly after arriving, the women went to Fisherman's Wharf while waiting for their Airbnb to be ready for check-in.

Mary says the smell of the fresh Dungeness crab drew her late husband Joe to the Wharf time after time.
She and her daughter wanted to take that trip down memory lane that afternoon.
"I had bought a sweatshirt and opened the trunk to put the sweatshirt in and noticed my daughter's luggage tag and sitting on the bumper." Mary says their 2016 Hyundai Elantra was parked on the second level of a garage on 500 Beach Street when it was burglarized.

Someone opened the trunk and stole her suitcase, wallet and her husband's remains that were in a silver cylinder inside a black velvet pouch.
"They took my husband. I just feel absolutely horrible. I feel like I've done him such a disservice. He was such a great man," says Mary.

She says her husband died last August of a heart attack. Her trip here was in part to honor him on his 57th birthday in a city he loved.
"We never had a chance to say goodbye 'cause he died so suddenly. So this was our tribute to say goodbye to him" said Mary.

"He's out there somewhere. A part of him is out there somewhere. God only knows where," said Mary, "I'd hate to think he was thrown away in a trash can or something."

Mary and her daughter planned on taking a trip up to the Redwoods to scatter Joe's ashes on this day.

"That's really just the most important thing, to get his remains back 'cause I'll tell you, I will never let him go. I feel horrible. I feel like a piece of him is missing and I did it. It was under my watch," said Mary.

"This was supposed to be so special. It's hard enough as it is to have to do this and for this to happen is just unimaginable," says Mary.

The two women are scheduled to fly home on Tuesday. Mary says she doesn't plan to press charges against the person responsible.

She just wanted the ashes returned, no questions asked.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories