Whole Foods Market
1010 Park Place
San Mateo, CA 94401
Saturday, Feb. 16, 2013
Food | Wine
National Almond Day Five Food Finds about Almonds
1. Almonds are mentioned several times in the New and Old Testaments. They are revered as symbols of divine approval.
2. Almonds are actually fruits, related to cherries and plums.
3. Raw Almonds contain prussic acids, the eating of more than a handfull can be lethal. this is why all almonds are dried, roasted and/or pasteurized.
4. A key indicator of arsenic poisoning was the faint smell of roasted almonds on the victim.
5. Greek mythology tells of the beautiful princess Phyllis, who was left waiting at the altar on her wedding day by her intended, Demophon. Phyllis waited for years for him to return, but finally died of a broken heart. In sympathy, the gods transformed Phyllis into an almond tree, which became a symbol of hope
Daily Quote “True Love is a hard nut to crack, but it has the sweetest kernel.”~Spanish Proverb
Whole Foods Market San Mateo