Recipe from Olivia Colt, Salt & Honey Catering + Events
Yield: 8 pies
- 1 1/2 lbs strawberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- zest of one lemon
- juice of one lemon
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or pie filling enhancer
- refrigerated double pie crust
- 1 egg well beaten
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. In a large bowl, combine strawberries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Stir well and set aside for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, unroll pie crusts. Stack crusts on top of each other and use a round cutter to cut out eight pies (about 4 inches in diameter).
4. Take half the cut-out circles and spread them on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Fill each circle with strawberry filling leaving a ½-inch border. Brush egg around the border.
5. Slightly stretch each of the remaining circles to accommodate filling. Place on top of filled circles and use a fork to crimp the edges.
6. Brush the tops of the pies with egg wash and cut a slit to vent. Bake for 13-15 minutes until golden brown.