ANTIOCH (BCN) - Two men, who are suspected of being involved in a robbery and shootout in Antioch last month that ultimately killed two people and wounded a third, appeared for the first time in court today.
The Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office charged 26-year-old San Pablo resident Julian Johnson and 25-year-old Antioch resident Miguel Gutierrez with two counts of murder, robbery, and being felons in possession of a firearm, according to a spokeswoman for the district attorney's office and jail records.
Gutierrez was also charged with violating his parole.
A judge Wednesday ordered both Johnson and Gutierrez to be held without bail. Neither entered a plea in the case.
The district attorney's office charged a third suspect, 28-year-old Antioch resident Teresa O'Sullivan, with being an accessory to murder and weapons violations.
All three defendants are scheduled to appear in court for arraignment on Aug. 6.
Police believe Johnson and Gutierrez initiated an armed robbery with the help of 25-year-old Antioch resident Clydedale Hoskin that ultimately led to Hoskin's death, along with the death of 28-year-old Antioch resident Adrian Craig.
On June 17, shortly after midnight, police said Johnson, Gutierrez and Hoskin approached a group of people in the 1800 block of Cavallo Road and tried to rob them at gunpoint.
At some point, Hoskin opened fire, striking a 44-year-old Antioch woman, who suffered injuries that were not considered life-threatening.
One of the people in the group was also armed and fired back at the trio, killing Hoskin, police said.
Gutierrez returned fire, killing Craig, according to police.
Officers later learned that O'Sullivan helped Johnson and Gutierrez after the shooting, police said.
Officers took Gutierrez into custody on July 9 and police said Johnson turned himself in to the department on Friday. Officers took O'Sullivan into custody on Tuesday and police said she is being held on $650,000 bail.