At least seven cases of people eating poisonous mushroom in Bay Area

- There have been seven cases of illness after people eating a poisonous mushroom called the "death cap".

Death cap mushrooms look similar to other mushrooms, and taste good, but they can cause kidneys and liver to shut down.

Doctors say early detection could mean the difference between life and death.

Symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea often do not start for up to 24 hours after the mushrooms is eaten.

Dr. Todd Mitchell says, "Most of the mushrooms involved so far were gathered in Monterey County, but we know they're fruiting like mad all over the Bay Area.

Experts say the recent rain is part of the reason for the surge in death cap mushrooms.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories