NASHVILLE, Tenn. (KTVU) - Two mothers were out at a Nashville nightclub Sunday when a fire broke out in an apartment, killing an 8-month-old girl and leaving five other children hospitalized.
Firefighters responded to the Hickory Lake Apartments around 2 a.m. and found heavy smoke and flames coming from one of the units, according to a news release from the City of Nashville.
Four children between the ages of 1 and 6 were rescued from the burning apartment. Authorities say they are all siblings, CNN reports.
The 8-month-old, later identified as Jream Jenkins, did not survive the fire and died at the scene, the news release said. Her 23-month-old brother is in critical condition at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.
Medics later found a 5-year-old who was also transported to the hospital.
Investigators say the children's mothers, ages 23 & 25, were out partying Saturday night but it's unclear whether they arranged for a babysitter as no adult was present when first responders arrived, the release said.
The mothers of the children returned to the apartment complex after firefighters and police officers were at the scene.
Arson investigators believe a burning candle that was in the room where Jenkins was found started the fire, WTVF reports.
The identities of the mothers and other children involved have not been released.