Fairfield officers shoot man suspected of shooting 8-year-old boy

- Fairfield police shot a man wanted in the shooting of an 8-year-old boy, according to Concord Police.

The Fairfield Police Department says it received a call from a concerned citizen at around 12:40 pm on Monday.  

The caller told the dispatcher they were following who they believed to be the suspect who was wanted in connection with the shooting of an 8-year-old child in Concord, driving a Chrysler convertible. 

The caller remained on the line while following the suspect vehicle to a business parking lot in the 3400 block of North Texas St.

"Officers arrived and attempted to contact the suspect. He ran away on foot. Officers pursued the suspect around the east side of the business where theofficer involved shooting occurred," said Lt. Rob Lenke with Fairfield Police.

Police said there were three officers involved in the arrest, but have not said what led to one or more officers opening fire. 

The suspect, 32-year old James Jarrard, was taken into custody and transported to an area trauma center.  He is currently undergoing treatment and is listed in critical condition.

A $1.1 million warrant had been issued for his arrest.

The drive-by shooting happened as the boy was playing in front of his home on La Salle Avenue, near Buchanan Field, Friday evening.

Witnesses say a Silver Honda came up, and someone inside opened fire, and hit the boy in the shoulder.

His family took him to John Muir Medical Center in Concord, where he was then rushed to Oakland's Children's Hospital, where he underwent emergency surgery.

He is listed in stable condition, and is expected to survive.

Police say Jarrard was the driver and shooter.

Jarrard was on parole for burglary. 

Investigators do not believe the shooting was gang-related. In fact, it turns out, the suspect was a family friend who would walk the children from school. According to the victim's mother, they'd call him "Uncle Smiley"  

"Today was the first time my son's had a smile on his face. He was happy to know that the guy's in jail." said Sarah Lynn Barela,  8-year-old Joshua's mother. 

"It's a brick off my chest...a few bricks off my chest."said Barela. 

"It's been a struggle the last few days. Its'been tough for all of us," said Barela who tells KTVU Joshua has a bullet lodged in the right side of his neck that can not be removed.

She says she told the second grader the man accused of shooting him has been caught,  

"He's talking. He's eating. He's physically okay," Barela said of her son. 

Barela and her husband Freddy Cycyk. the boy's stepfather, says Jarrard got into an argument with his older brother while standing near the boy and other children as young as two years old.

"As far as him having a gun around my children ...that should have never happened. It should never have happened, " said Barela, "My kids loved him. They adored him. For him to do that to my children ...I don't know if I'll ever be able to forgive him."

If the suspect Garrard survives, he will face charges of attempted murder and child endangerment.

Joshua still has a bullet lodged in his neck. 

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories