OAKLAND (KTVU) -- The man accused of killing seven people and injuring three others at Oikos University in Oakland four years ago pleaded no contest Tuesday to the charges.
One Goh, 48, who had indicated that he wanted the death penalty in connection with the April 2, 2012 shootings is expected to receive seven life terms after entering the no contest plea. Alameda County Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Horner is expected to sentence Goh on July 14, 2017.
During court proceedings Tuesday, Goh's hands were shackled to his waist. His hair now has gray streaks.
Goh also pleaded no contest to two special circumstances: murder in the course of a kidnapping and multiple murder as well as three counts of attempted murder for wounding three victims.
Alameda County prosecutor Stacie Pettigrew told Judge Horner of Goh's plea and said prosecutors do not plan to seek the death penalty against him.
Goh will be sentenced to seven consecutive terms of life in prison without the possibility of parole, plus 271 years to life, Pettigrew told the judge.
District attorney's office spokeswoman Teresa Drenick said, "Given all the circumstances of this case, such as Mr. Goh's violent actions and his mental health, we believe that life in prison without the possibility is the appropriate outcome."
Drenick said, "The enormity of this crime is unprecedented in our county," but there's no more chance that Goh could be freed and commit additional crimes.
Killed in the shooting were students Lydia Sim, 21, Sonam Choedon, 33, Grace Kim, 23, Doris Chibuko, 40, Judith Seymour, 53, and Tshering Bhutia, 38, as well as Katleen Ping, 24, who worked at the school.
Five of the victims' family members attended Goh's hearing today but they declined to talk to reporters.
Prosecutors said Goh had dropped out of Oikos several months before the shooting and wanted his tuition refunded and targeted an administrator who wasn't present on the day of the shooting.
Criminal proceedings against him were suspended after his lawyers doubted his mental competency to stand trial, but he was recently deemed by court-appointed doctors to be restored to competency.
Goh was a former student at Oikos who had told Oakland police that he entered the school that morning and opened fire, killing six students and a staff member.
The Korean Christian school near Oakland International Airport was founded in 2004.
Several psychiatric report have found Goh incapable of understanding the proceedings against him and assisting in his defense.
- Mass shooter restored to mental competency in 2012 Oikos rampage
- Man accused of killing 7 in Oakland Oikos shooting asks for death
- Psychologist testifies in Oikos shooting case
- Judge orders trial on Oikos University rampage suspect's mental state
Jessica Ferranti, a professor of psychiatry at the University of California at Davis who examined Goh in 2012 and 2013, reported in 2015 that Goh had told her he believes he was involved in a spiritual war and was persecuted by most people he met, isolating him and making him unable to cope with most interactions with other people.
He told her then that he had seen an evil man in the mirror that wasn't him, a vision that was linked to the religious war he was fighting.
Prosecutors have said previously that Goh was unwilling to assist in his defense, but that did not mean he was incompetent to stand trial.
It took Judge Horner 30 minutes to read all of the charges and enhancement clauses against Goh.
KTVU reporter Henry Lee and Bay City News contributed to this report.