KTVU - Father's Day 2016 is June 19.
Tech Life columnist, Jennifer Jolly, visited Mornings on 2 and showed off some cool gift ideas that might be more adventurous than ties or socks.
Items include a trendy laptop and fun, easy-to-use drones. They can fly up to 40-miles an hour. Jennifer also showed to KTVU's Claudine Wong about a high-tech luggage, with GPS tracking
1. Gadget-Master: Let’s start with this splurge-worthy Microsoft Surface Pro 4.
· This do-everything device works like a high-performance laptop to handle anything Dad throws at it: with full Windows 10, PixelSense interactive touch screen … and 9 hours of battery life.
· It also tackles full tablet duty - gaming, social media, sports and entertainment
· And this cool surface pen lets him take notes and record video at the same time - perfect not only for dads - but for those grads in your life too.
· Overall – this is a versatile computer that adapts to the task, but doesn’t compromise on power.
Price: starts at $900 – www.Microsoftstore.com
2. Drone Dad: (I’ll have two drones set up to fly during the segment if possible)
I have yet to meet a dad – or really anyone for that matter – who can resist the fun of flying around one of these consumer drones – Parrot has totally got you covered.
· If the sky’s the limit - go for the Bebop 2 + Skycontroller
· 25 minutes of battery life and can go nearly 40-miles per hour
· With the Skycontroller – it can travel more than a mile and still find its way safely back to you – all the while shooting full HD 1080p – perfect for snapping picture and recording videos
· For more fun on a budget – take a look at the Minidrone series: This Airborne Cargo drone – it weighs less than two ounces, but is impressively stable and speedy in the air, there’s a built-in camera to take snapshots —
· You control it from an app on a smartphone or tablet.
Price: $69-$499+ https://us.store.parrot.com/en/#
3. For the DJ Dad - it’s all about the BASS - check out Sony’s EXTRA BASS Bluetooth HEADPHONES:
· these totally let the music loose with powerful, clear - booming base and the freedom of Bluetooth connectivity that lets you cut the cord, while pumping it up in style.
· Dad won’t miss a beat with 30mm drivers engineered for today’s bass-heavy tracks and up to 30 hours of battery life.
4. Surfer Dude: Sharkbanz: wearable shark repellent wristband:
This is a great one for surfers and swimmers here in the Bay Area – or if dad has just watched Jaws too many times: Sharkbanz: a shark repellent wearable wristband.
· The guys behind this gadget claim its patented magnetic technology keeps sharks away by disrupting its electro-receptors.
· I have yet to really try this one out – but I know a few dads who will love it…..
Price: $65 http://www.sharkbanz.com/
5. For an Experience of a Lifetime – SF Based "Bucketlist" company IfOnly
· Give dad an adventures – from sporty to culinary — and everything in between.
· IfOnly is sort of like the Etsy for Experiences,” where you can find everything from once-
in-a-lifetime celebrity encounters – Quarterback Camp with Former 49er & Superbowl Champ ($500) …. Memorabilia from his favorite rockstar – or yes – even swimming with sharks – and a portion of the proceeds to charity, working with more than 200 nonprofit
· A private dinner made by master chef Tyler Florence? Yes please! Of course, some of these once-in-a-lifetime experiences have once-in-a-lifetime prices — like the $2 million to $5 million dollar hot air balloon expedition over Mt. Everest …..
Price: $25 + https://www.ifonly.com/S1991
6. **Just arrived at my house last night** - newest "smart" suitcase to hit the market - BlueSmart Black Edition: built-in location tracking, USB charging, Bluetooth remote lock, and built-in weight sensors - super cool!
· GPS technology, powered by a global SIM card, allows you to track your suitcase anywhere in the world.
· Built in battery – Battery charger - Charge your devices up to 6 times during any leg of your journey
· Remote Lock: Control your suitcase lock via our app. If it leaves your side, the bag will lock itself.
· Digital scale: Check the weight of your bag right on your phone and avoid fees.
Price: Available for Pre-Order $550 – but will ship in time for Father’s Day
7. And this one is just fun and quirky: Hat Hero: Here’s a fun and quirky one – this is the SOLSOL – a Solar Powered Hat to charge your other gadgets on the go:
· has this built-in, high efficiency solar panel and a voltage regulator – so when he wears it in the sun – he can charge his smartphone or other USB devices.
· It takes about four hours of direct sunlight to fully charge from zero to 100% phone
· There’s no battery
Price: $69.95 https://solsolhat.com/