San Francisco was host to an unusual vigil Saturday afternoon, organized by five families who have been united by one common crushing experience: all have sons who disappeared in the city.
The event began in Golden Gate Park Saturday afternoon with a jazz trio, who warmed up the solemn crowd that had come together to support the families of five men, all of whom disappeared in San Francisco within the past 3 years.
The five men have little in common, other than all were relatively young when they disappeared.
Jackson Miller was just 22 years old when he vanished in May of 2010, and his parents told KTVU that they were still struggling Saturday.
“It's really very lonely going around and trying to find your son,” said Gina Funaro, Miller’s mother.
Over a year-and-a-half later, in October of 2011, 29-year-old Cameron Remmer disappeared, leaving his family distraught.
“He would now be 31. And you just want him back. I desperately want him back, the whole family wants him back,” said Valerie Sorrells, Remmer’s mother.
Shawn Dickerson, 23, disappeared two months after Remmer.
“This has been a blessing for us to have him with the other missing boys, young men that are missing. For us to be united together, it's unbelievable,” said Trisha Brucker, Dickerson’s mother.
Kim Nepote's 19-year old son, Crishtian Hughes, went missing back in February.
“He just lights up a room whenever he's around so, I just hope one day I can see him again. So, he can light up my room,” said Nepote.
The organizers of Saturday’s vigil told KTVU that city officials have discussed plans to designate a “Missing Persons Day” for the efforts of the five families.
These families were united in the hope that together, their voices will be louder and that will remind people to be on the lookout for the five missing men, who include 19-year-old Sean Sidi, who has of Saturday had been missing for the past four months.
“The most important thing is to keep the word alive that there's someone missing,” said Claude Sidi, Sean Sidi’s father.
Watchdogs are questioning an exclusive agreement between the City of Oakland and a non-profit group, tapped to lead a multi-million dollar project to redevelop the area around the Coliseum BART station.