Some 50 poisoned meatballs had been found as of Friday evening in San Francisco's Twin Peaks and Diamond Heights neighborhoods, and more had reportedly been found in Cole Valley, the Lower Haight and Glen Park.
Warning signs were posted Friday in the Twin Peaks neighborhood Friday urging animals owners to be extra vigilant after a dog became sick from eating the poisoned meatballs.
The meatballs have red and green bits in them that look like strychnine used to kill gophers and very dangerous for dogs.
"It causes very severe seizures which have to be treated very aggressively, and seizures when they start to stack up on one another are very dangerous," said Animal Internal Medicine and Specialty Services clinic veterinarian Carrie Jurney.
A 7-year-old dachshund named Oskar was still in critical condition Friday night after eating the toxic food.
A skunk, a raccoon and two feral cats have also died.
Animal Control Capt. Vicky Guldbech said the poisoning is a misdemeanor and convictions are rare.
"I want this person caught," said Guldbech. "I want this to be stopped. We love our animals. It's a shame; they have no right to hurt our animals."
Stephen Marusic said Friday afternoon as he walked his German shepherd that he's very nervous.
"This is sick, a sick person is doing this," Marusic said.
KTVU has received unconfirmed reports of poison meatballs found in the Lower Haight, Cole Valley, Hayes Valley and Diamond Heights neighborhoods.
"Somebody's trying to poison the coyotes, they're doing all the places where the coyotes are," Marusic said.
Watchdogs are questioning an exclusive agreement between the City of Oakland and a non-profit group, tapped to lead a multi-million dollar project to redevelop the area around the Coliseum BART station.