Pinole house fire believed to be caused by marijuana grow
KTVU.com and Wires
PINOLE, Calif. —
A house fire in Pinole Friday afternoon was apparently caused by an electrical overload related to a marijuana growing operation, fire officials said.
Firefighters responded to reports of the fire at 4:47 p.m. at 2355 Wright Ave.
First responders found smoke coming from the eves of a single-story house from a small fire burning in the home's attic.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, and it was declared under control at 5:20 p.m.
Fire investigators determined that an overloaded electrical circuit that had been supplying a marijuana growing operation caused the fire.
Pinole police responded to further investigate the findings.
In addition to the Pinole Fire Department, the Rodeo-Hercules Fire Protection District, the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District and the Crockett-Carquinez Fire District assisted in putting out the fire.
Watchdogs are questioning an exclusive agreement between the City of Oakland and a non-profit group, tapped to lead a multi-million dollar project to redevelop the area around the Coliseum BART station.