After an exhaustive search by Menlo Park police for suspects in an early morning shootout with law enforcement, police reported that six men had been arrested in connection, and three of them were identified as being from East Palo Alto Sunday.
At 1:15 a.m. Sunday, police were responding to a call about a group of armed men gathered outside a home and, according to officers, the suspects fired at them and ran.
One officer fired back, but no one was hit.
“At first I heard one shot. Then 15 seconds later, I heard 2 shots,” said Christian Menera, a resident in the neighborhood. “Then I heard all the cops coming.”
It didn't take long for police to recover a rifle and catch two suspects.
But it would take hours and SWAT teams conducting backyard searches before four other suspects were taken into custody.
Also, two more handguns and two rifles were recovered by the end of the day, according to police.
“It was really scary because that's never happened in Menlo Park,” said neighborhood resident Carmen Cetino.
Several roads were shut down for more than 10 hours while teams gathered evidence from the crime scene, which covered more than two blocks. The closures kept several families from returning home.
Also, at least one family got an early morning automated call from police.
“The police said they were searching for someone--and we looked outside and there was a cop car with the dogs and the flashlights and everything,” said resident Karina Maciel.
Police said Sunday night that they were looking into if the armed suspects were linked to any type of retaliation to two shootings last week nearby in East Palo Alto.
Watchdogs are questioning an exclusive agreement between the City of Oakland and a non-profit group, tapped to lead a multi-million dollar project to redevelop the area around the Coliseum BART station.