The San Jose woman who called 911 early Tuesday evening to report the attempted abduction of her three-year-old girl in the front yard of her home admitted to police on Thursday that she made up the story, according to authorities.
San Jose police had been searching the area around Dayo Court ever since the woman called 911 to report that a man tried to take her daughter while the family was playing outside their home Tuesday at around 5:30 p.m.
The mother, who asked not to appear on camera, told KTVU the attempted abduction left her angry and frightened.
"We're just a little shaken up," said the mother. "I mean somebody tried to take our three-year-old daughter."
Police issued a press release that said on Thursday the reported abduction victim's mother was re-interviewed at the San Jose Police Department by Detectives Jason Tanner and Isidro Bagon.
Subsequently, the mother admitted to fabricating the story regarding the attempted abduction. Authorities did not give any information as to why the mother made up the story.
Although police did not say what the so-called red flags were in her story, they did acknowledge the woman has a criminal record.
Police said the investigation into the incident is ongoing and will be reviewed by the Santa Clara County District Attorney's office for possible charges of false reporting of a criminal offense.
Authorities said they will not release her name until she is actually arrested and charged for filing a false police report.
Watchdogs are questioning an exclusive agreement between the City of Oakland and a non-profit group, tapped to lead a multi-million dollar project to redevelop the area around the Coliseum BART station.