An explosion ripped through a San Jose home early Tuesday, shattering windows and walls, but the family was able to escape without serious injury, authorities said.
San Jose Fire Capt. Reggie Williams said crews responded to a report of an explosion at the home in 700 block of Linda Flora St. at around 6:15 a.m.
“The report was an explosion followed by a fire,” Williams told KTVU. “The first crews found a couple bedrooms on fire when they arrived. “
Bill McHale and his family were preparing for work and school when they felt the explosion rocked their home.
“All of a sudden there was an explosion and the kids came running,” he told KTVU. “They said there was an explosion in my room. We opened the door and there was smoke everywhere. We tried to get everyone to the door. By the time we got to the door, there was smoke in the whole house. “
There were five people in the home at the time of the blast including two children. One person was treated at the scene for minor burns.
And while the family was thankful they made it out safely, their puppy Tippy was nowhere to be found after the fire started.
But several hours later there was relief after 10-year-old Nathan McMahen found Tippy hiding behind the couch.
“He was all curled up under a towel...and his paw was burned,” said McMahen.
The blaze was quickly brought under control and a utility crew was on the scene trying to determine if the blast may have been caused by natural gas.
Some tragedies at hospitals might be unavoidable, but a mother and father who lost their 21 month old daughter at Children's Hospital Oakland say it's what happened after their daughter's death that has continued to torment them.
To Celebrate the first year of The Bay Lights, a light sculpture on the Bay Bridge, the SF Bicycle Coalition lead a large group of cyclists on a ride through the city where many had their bikes lit up.