View mobile site
Follow us on
Wednesday, Dec. 18, 2013 | 5:40 a.m.
Hi, (not you?) | Member Center | Sign Out
Sign In | Register
Posted: 6:23 a.m. Friday, Jan. 18, 2013
KTVU.com and wires
HAYWARD, Calif. —
An elderly woman was critically injured in a fire apparently caused by a cigarette at her home in Hayward on Thursday night, a fire department spokesman said Friday.
Fire was reported at around 9:14 p.m. at a 20-unit complex in the 22800 block of Second Street, according to firefighters.
The 81-year-old victim suffered second- and third-degree burns to her hand, forearm and face and is in critical condition, Earnest said.
The woman is a known smoker and investigators believe she may have fallen asleep while smoking in her living room, leading the fire to ignite from her cigarette, according to Earnest.
She was unable to put out the blaze and retreated to a rear bedroom where responding firefighters found her, Earnest said.
She was transported to Eden Hospital where she remains.
© 2013 Cox Media Group. By using this website,
Already have an account? Sign In
We have sent you a confirmation email. Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account.
We look forward to seeing you frequently. Visit us and sign in to update your profile, receive the latest news and keep up to date with mobile alerts.
Don't worry, it happens. We'll send you a link to create a new password.
We have sent you an email with a link to change your password.
We've sent an email with instructions to create a new password. Your existing password has not been changed.
To sign in you must verify your email address. Fill out the form below and we'll send you an email to verify.
Check your email for a link to verify your email address.