An unattended pot on a stove sparked a two-alarm fire early Friday that destroyed a home and damaged several cars at an adjoining auto shop in Martinez, fire officials said.
Crews were dispatched around 3:15 a.m. to reports of a fire at a car lot and residential building near the intersection of Peach Street and Pacheco Boulevard, Contra Costa County Fire Protection District officials said.
A resident at the home on the property awoke to smell smoke and got outside. A second resident was not at home at the time of the blaze, Fire Inspector George Laing said.
Firefighters battled the blaze for nearly an hour and also had to deal with live electrical wires at the scene, fire officials said.
Crews were eventually able to bring the fire under control a short time after 4 a.m.
The fire gutted the home and damaged at least a half-dozen cars, causing an estimated $175,000 in damage, he said.
The American Red Cross was summoned to provide housing assistance for the two residents displaced by the blaze.
Laing said the fire was caused by unattended food on the stove.
He said there was a working smoke detector in the home, but it is
Watchdogs are questioning an exclusive agreement between the City of Oakland and a non-profit group, tapped to lead a multi-million dollar project to redevelop the area around the Coliseum BART station.