Nearly 1,000 slumbering lodgers were evacuated early Thursday from the Embassy Suites near the San Francisco International Airport because of high levels of deadly carbon monoxide, authorities said.
Central San Mateo County Fire Chief Don Dornell said the drama at the Embassy Suites located at 150 Anza Blvd. in Burlingame began with a medical call at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
The person was transported to a local hospital and was being treated. Dornell did not say if the person had suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, but the fire department was called back to the hotel at 12:30 a.m.
“In doing an air sampling,” Dornell said. “A high level of carbon monoxide was detected. At that point, San Mateo County Hazmat and San Mateo Health Department was called in.”
The source of the carbon monoxide was traced to a faulty boiler and the booked-up hotel was evacuated.
Crews worked to shut down the boiler and air out the hotel, but the process took several hours. No other illnesses were reported, but lodgers were not allowed back to their rooms until an all clear was issued at around 4:30 a.m.
“I was woken up at 1:30 a.m. up on the eighth floor,” said Mark Trujillo, who was on a business trip to the Bay Area from his southern Utah home. “It (the evacuation) wasn’t that big of a rush. I made sure I got dressed, but there were a few people in their robes. It was pretty interesting.”
With its close proximity to the airport, the hotel staff made sure those with early morning flights were able to return to their rooms first and get packed up and off to SFO.
Watchdogs are questioning an exclusive agreement between the City of Oakland and a non-profit group, tapped to lead a multi-million dollar project to redevelop the area around the Coliseum BART station.