The state has recommended that a woman who served poisonous mushrooms to residents of an elder care facility be banned for life from working in licensed homes in the future.
A report issued Thursday by the Department of Social Services says Lilia Tirdea of Citrus Heights had been told by the home's owner to serve only store-bought food.
Tirdea told investigators she did not know the mushrooms she found growing in the backyard of Golden Age Villa in Loomis were poisonous. Four people died, and Tirdea and another resident fell ill after eating soup she made from the fungi.
Tirdea could not immediately be reached for comment. The report says she still is ill and hasn't returned to work since the Nov. 8 incident.
Some tragedies at hospitals might be unavoidable, but a mother and father who lost their 21 month old daughter at Children's Hospital Oakland say it's what happened after their daughter's death that has continued to torment them.
To Celebrate the first year of The Bay Lights, a light sculpture on the Bay Bridge, the SF Bicycle Coalition lead a large group of cyclists on a ride through the city where many had their bikes lit up.