View mobile site
Follow us on
Friday, Dec. 20, 2013 | 9:46 p.m.
Hi, (not you?) | Member Center | Sign Out
Sign In | Register
Posted: 4:55 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 19, 2012
KTVU.com and Wires
SAN JOSE, Calif. —
A fire that appears to have been sparked by a candle displaced an elderly woman from her San Jose home Wednesday afternoon, a San Jose fire captain said.
Multiple reports, including one from a plane overhead, came in about the fire at 138 Lyndale Ave. at 4:07 p.m., according to San Jose fire Capt. Rob Brown.
Fire crews arrived by 4:12 p.m. The fire briefly reached two alarms but the second alarm was canceled within minutes. The fire was under control at 4:38 p.m., Brown said.
The blaze appears to have started in the kitchen when the sole resident said she had lit a candle near some papers that caught fire, Brown said.
The woman tried to put out the fire with some water, Brown said, and when that did not work she left the house as fire crews responded.
The fire caused major damage to the house with the fire burning the kitchen and spreading up through to the attic and roof, Brown said.
The woman suffered minor smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene but declined to be transported to a hospital, Brown said.
Fire crews as of 5:15 p.m. were searching for two dogs and a cat from the home.
The woman will be staying with friends nearby and keeping an eye out for the pets that are unaccounted for, according to Brown.
No firefighters were injured fighting the blaze and no neighboring homes were damaged, Brown said.
Brown advised residents be careful when lighting candles inside.
"Have a nice clear space around your candles," the fire captain said.
© 2013 Cox Media Group. By using this website,
Already have an account? Sign In
We have sent you a confirmation email. Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account.
We look forward to seeing you frequently. Visit us and sign in to update your profile, receive the latest news and keep up to date with mobile alerts.
Don't worry, it happens. We'll send you a link to create a new password.
We have sent you an email with a link to change your password.
We've sent an email with instructions to create a new password. Your existing password has not been changed.
To sign in you must verify your email address. Fill out the form below and we'll send you an email to verify.
Check your email for a link to verify your email address.