Three people were displaced when a fire sparked by an old car battery burned two trailers and another building in San Jose overnight, a fire captain said.
Firefighters responded to a report of a fire in the 900 block of South Almaden Avenue, near Washington Elementary School, at about 11:20 p.m., Capt. Rob Brown said.
When crews arrived, they found a fire burning in a lot behind the home and called for a second alarm, Brown said.
Two RV trailers and a garage attached to the home were engulfed in flames, and the wall of a neighboring property was burning, the captain said. The trailers had been occupied at the time the fire started but the people got out safely.
The residents of the main home and the property next door also exited safely and were unhurt, Brown said.
Brown said crews knocked down the fire at 12:07 a.m., and deemed it under control within an hour.
A resident of one of the trailers told investigators he was attempting to charge an old car battery when it exploded, starting the fire, Brown said.
The people living in the trailers were displaced, as was the resident of the property next door, because of the damage to their properties, Brown said.
Brown said both trailers sustained major damage, and may have been destroyed.
The main home on the property where the fire started is still habitable, but the power has been cut off, he said.
Watchdogs are questioning an exclusive agreement between the City of Oakland and a non-profit group, tapped to lead a multi-million dollar project to redevelop the area around the Coliseum BART station.