A small fire that caused the evacuation of the fifth floor of the Westfield San Francisco Centre on Monday night was likely caused by a dirty flue at a mall restaurant, a fire department spokeswoman said Tuesday.
The one-alarm fire was reported at about 8:15 p.m. at the shopping center, located at 865 Market St.
The blaze started in a restaurant on the mall's fourth floor and produced a large amount of smoke, prompting the evacuation of the fifth floor, fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.
No one was injured in the blaze, which was extinguished by about 8:40 p.m., Talmadge said.
The fire was determined to have started in a flue at the restaurant, and flue fires are often the result of a buildup of grease or other residue, according to Talmadge.
Fire officials this morning did not immediately have an estimate for the amount of damage caused by the fire.
Watchdogs are questioning an exclusive agreement between the City of Oakland and a non-profit group, tapped to lead a multi-million dollar project to redevelop the area around the Coliseum BART station.
City officials joined the San Francisco Recreation & Park Department and members of the community Thursday, December 5th, for the lighting of San Francisco’s official holiday tree, located outside historic McLaren Lodge.