A teenage driver who pleaded guilty last month to vehicular manslaughter for striking a father and his two daughters with an SUV in Concord in April was sentenced Monday to the maximum allowable time in juvenile custody, a prosecutor said.
David Rosen, who recently turned 18, was sentenced to seven years and eight months in prison at a locked facility in the Youthful Offender Treatment Program for the deaths of Solaiman Nuri, 41, and his 9-year-old daughter Hadees and the injury of Hadees' sister, 12-year-old Hannah.
However, Rosen can only be held there until his 21st birthday when he will be released, Contra Costa County Senior Deputy District Attorney Dan Cabral said.
On April 7, then 17-year-old Rosen was speeding down Treat Boulevard at more than 70 mph in a 45 mph zone when he lost control of his vehicle and struck the Nuris as they rode their bicycles.
Solaiman Nuri died at the scene while Hadees succumbed to her injuries a short time later at a hospital. Hannah suffered minor injuries in the crash.
Stoorai Nuri, the mother and wife of the victims, spoke in court during today's sentencing, as did Solaiman's brother, according to Michael Cardoza, an attorney for the family.
"It was very, very emotional ... the sadness of a family explaining what those two people meant," Cardoza said.
He said Stoorai Nuri wishes that Rosen had been charged as an adult in the case so the conviction would stay on his permanent record. However, Cabral said that the term Rosen will face in the juvenile facility "far exceeds any sentence he would receive as an adult."
He said the sentence will also include counseling at the facility.
"Hopefully with our juvenile system, it's a rehabilitative process," Cabral said. "I think justice was served."
Cardoza said that Rosen declined to speak during the hearing. The teen's attorney, Peter Coleridge, was not available for comment Monday afternoon but has previously said in court that Rosen wants to take responsibility for the pain and suffering he has caused.
Rosen will return to court on Dec. 14 for a restitution hearing.
Watchdogs are questioning an exclusive agreement between the City of Oakland and a non-profit group, tapped to lead a multi-million dollar project to redevelop the area around the Coliseum BART station.