Blanket on furnace may have sparked huge Oakland blaze

-
A wall heater ignited a blanket and started a three-alarm apartment fire this morning in Oakland, a fire battalion chief said.
 
The fire was reported at 4:05 a.m. in a four-story building in the 3800 block of Harrison Street.
 
When firefighters arrived, strong flames were burning the building and several people were evacuated.
 
A wall heater ignited a blanket in a first floor unit and the fire then spread to the second and third floors, Battalion Chief Ian McWhorter said. .
 
No other buildings were damaged. The building was left severely damaged and 14 people were
displaced. Outside the building, two residents were treated for smoke inhalation and released.
 
One person suffered a minor cut to the leg that was treated with a bandaid, McWhorter said.
 
Stay logged on to KTVU.com for updates on this breaking story.

 

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories