One suspect in the fatal shooting of two Oakland men last Thursday night has been charged with two counts of murder but a second suspect may still be on the loose, police and prosecutors said Wednesday.
Oakland residents Jorge Salazar-Gonzalez, 24, and Edward Miranda-Castillo, 31, were found in the 2000 block of Crosby Avenue suffering gunshot wounds at 11:21 p.m.
They were pronounced dead at the scene.
Shortly after the shooting, David Vigil, 30, arrived at Kaiser Permanente Medical Center with a gunshot wound in his left shoulder, police said.
He couldn't give a clear answer as to when and where he was shot. Investigators realized he resembled a suspect captured on video who was wounded during the exchange of gunfire that killed Salazar-Gonzalez and Miranda-Castillo. Vigil's injuries were similar to the person's on the video, according to police.
Investigators obtained a search warrant for Vigil's home on Bridge Avenue near the shooting scene and found a .45-caliber gun and ammunition there. Investigators think the gun was used in the Crosby Avenue shooting.
Vigil would not relent, however, insisting he had been shot at 79th and Bancroft avenues. He said he had not been driving his car during the shooting but investigators found a bullet hole in it and blood inside.
His car was also recorded on video at the Crosby Avenue scene, police said.
Eventually Vigil refused to talk further and demanded a lawyer. He was arrested and booked into Santa Rita Jail without bail.
On Monday, prosecutors charged him with two counts of murder with the special circumstance allegation of committing multiple murders.
He is next scheduled to appear in court on Oct. 13.
Investigators believe a second suspect in the killing may still be at large. Anyone with information about the case has been asked to contact Oakland police homicide detectives at (510) 238-3821.