SAN JOSE, Calif. (KTVU) - Two Mineta San Jose International Airport maintenance workers were taken the hospital early Thursday suffering from carbon monoxide exposure symptoms.
Spokeswoman Rosemary Barnes said in an email that the workers were using a gasoline-powered saw cutter in an interior, lower-level area of Terminal A, an area that is far away from the boarding gates.
At about 1 a.m., the workers began experiencing headaches, lightheadedness and shortness of breath, she said. They reported the situation to their supervisor who immediately shut down the operation.
On-Airport San Jose Fire Department crews responded to treat the ill workers, she said, and the fire team’s testing revealed higher than normal levels of carbon monoxide.
Airport staff ventilated the area with fans and fresh air through open doors monitored by security guards and the fire department’s subsequent testing revealed acceptable levels of carbon monoxide.
There was no impact to passenger or employee operations as the terminal was closed with minimal employee presence at the time, Barnes said.
Passenger operations continued as normal when security screening began at 4:30 a.m.