SAN FRANCISCO (KTVU) - The San Francisco Opera says it is canceling an October concert featuring Placido Domingo after the publication of an Associated Press story that quoted numerous women as saying they were sexually harassed or subjected to inappropriate behavior by the superstar.
San Francisco Opera notice cancelling #PlacidoDomingo performance in October: "Though the alleged incidents reported did not take place at San Francisco Opera, the Company is unable to present the artist on the War Memorial Opera House stage." CLICK FOR FULL STATEMENT: pic.twitter.com/QuSWzaiNhp— Jana Katsuyama (@JanaKTVU) August 14, 2019
The Oct. 6 show had been to mark Domingo's 50th anniversary with the San Francisco company. It had been promoted as a "special one performance-only event" with "one of the most influential singing actors in the history of opera."
The opera company said in a statement that even though no inappropriate behavior was alleged to have taken place in San Francisco, the company is "committed to its strong anti-sexual harassment policy and requires all company members to adhere to the highest standards of professional conduct."
On Tuesday, the LA Opera, where Domingo has served as general director since 2003, said it would hire outside counsel to investigate the allegations against the star. The Philadelphia Orchestra rescinded an invitation for Domingo appear at its opening night concert next month. And the Washington National Opera issued a statement saying they have "zero tolerance policies" regarding harassment of any kind in response to the reports of alleged inappropriate behavior.
Domingo served as a top manager of the opera house for 15 years, serving as both artistic director and general director. Several performers told the AP that they were sexually harassed by the star while working for the Washington opera and that his behavior was common knowledge.
A spokeswoman for the Washington opera declined to answer specific questions from the AP about whether management was aware of any inappropriate behavior by Domingo and if any complaints ever had been made.
Instead, the opera house issued a statement saying that its goal is to "always is to ensure that all of our artists and employees can work and thrive in an environment of safety, trust, support, creativity, and mutual respect."
Domingo has called the allegations "deeply troubling and, as presented inaccurate," adding "I believed that all of my interactions and relationships were always welcomed and consensual."