SILVER SPRING, Md. (KTVU) - The Food and Drug Administration is warning dog owners not to feed their four legged friends store bought bone treats, saying they can lead to serious illness or even death for their pet.
The FDA said it has received about 70 reports of pet illnesses related to the bone treats.
There have been reports of 15 dogs deaths related to the bone treats, according to the agency.
Some of the products listed in the reports include commercially available brands described as “Ham Bones,” “Pork Femur Bones,” “Rib Bones,” and “Smokey Knuckle Bones."
The FDA notes the potentially harmful products differ from uncooked butcher-type bones as they are processed and packaged for sale as dog treats.
"The products may be dried through a smoking process or by baking, and may contain other ingredients such as preservatives, seasonings, and smoke flavorings." the agency said.
Illnesses reported to FDA have included:
- Gastrointestinal obstruction (blockage in the digestive tract)
- Cuts and wounds in the mouth or on the tonsils
- Bleeding from the rectum
The FDA is advising owners to be aware of what their dog is chewing and to supervise their pet with any treat or chew toy.
And with the holiday season here, experts warn people should reconsider if they're planning to give their pet a stocking full of bone treats.
“Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet,” said veterinarian Carmela Stamper, with the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine.