SAN LORENZO, Calif. (KTVU) - A man was stuck in the grease vent of an empty Chinese restaurant in San Lorenzo for two days, and was finally pulled out Wednesday morning with the help of Alameda County sheriff’s deputies and firefighters.
Both agencies told the story on social media, showing a picture of a man, covered in brown grease, his arms crossed over his head, his body contorted into a small, square-shaped vent.
The man was found inside a vacant restaurant in the 700 block of Bockman Road at the former Chef Wong, in between a Chase Bank and the McConaghy House.
A neighboring business owner said he heard faint noises coming from the restaurant Tuesday night. He said he thought nothing of it until he came into work early Wednesday morning and heard the sounds again.
"So I went into the back and the door was open but the screen was locked. So as soon as I pulled the door I could hear. I keep hearing please help me. Please help me. Help me," Igor Campos said.
Firefighters rescued the man about 9:30 a.m. It took them about 30 minutes to cut the vent big enough to reach the man, firefighters said, showing the process in a series of photos.
It is unknown why he was trying to enter the building.
"People break into abandoned buildings to get copper wire and other recyclables to make some money so this maybe a case of that," said Alameda County Sheriff's Sgt. Ray Kelly.
Paramedics took him to the hospital where he was treated for dehydration. Deputies later took him into custody where he faces numerous charges including trespassing, vandalism and burglary.
At 9:27AM, Engine 23 responded to a reported lockout at 754 Bockman Rd in San Lorenzo. Upon arrival, firefighters heard moaning coming from inside the building. A person stated they were stuck in the duct of the hood and duct system above the stove. The response was upgraded to a rescue with Engine 24, Rescue 24, Truck 12 and Battalion 2. An adult male was extricated from the vent system within 30 minutes of firefighters arriving at the scene. The man stated he had been stuck in the duct system for 2 days. He was transported to a local hospital by Paramedics Plus for further evaluation. The Alameda County Sheriffs Office, Alameda County Health Department, and the Alameda County Building Department also responded. @ktvu2 @kpixtv @nbcbayarea @abc7newsbayarea @kron4tv @telemundo48 #ALCOFire #SanLorenzo