CONCORD, Calif. (BCN) - The East Bay Regional Park District's board of directors voted last week to accept ownership of 2,216 acres of the former Concord Naval Weapons Station and turn it into a regional park.
The vote took place July 2, district officials said Tuesday.
Transferring ownership of the land from the U.S. Navy to the park district should take roughly six months to complete.
"Park development is expected to take several years and will require significant financial resources," district general manager Robert Doyle said.
"There is no timetable on development."
There are also plans to transfer an additional 327 acres from the Navy to the district in the future.
District officials plan to celebrate the acquisition from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Concord Naval Weapons Station.
The event will also mark the 75th anniversary of the fatal munitions explosion at Port Chicago that killed hundreds of servicemen and civilians, most of whom were black, on July 17, 1944.
More information about the event Saturday and the district's plans for the park is available online here.
Bay Cities News Service contribued to this report.