Officer involved in N. Beach shooting shot and killed boy in 2012

SAN FRANCISCO (BCN) Police have released the name of a San Francisco police officer who shot at a man twice during a pursuit earlier this month, initially leaving the man with life-threatening injuries.

According to police, Officer Joshua Cabillo shot at the suspect, identified as 28-year-old Oliver Barcenas, on June 9 around 12:15 a.m. in the city's North Beach neighborhood.

Cabillo, assigned to the Field Operations Bureau, has been with the department for five years. Immediately following the shooting, Cabillo was placed on administrative leave, according to police.

Cabillo is the same officer who shot and killed a 15-year-old boy in South San Francisco in 2012. In that case, Cabillo was also chasing a suspect. 

Cabillo claimed in that case that he hit 15-year-old Derrick Gaines in the back of the head with his gun as Gaines ran. Cabillo said the boy then fell to the ground and a gun fell from his pants. Cabillo claimed the boy was reaching for the gun and that he feared for his life, so he shot the teen in the neck killing him. 

Prosecutors determined that shooting incident was justifiable based on Cabillo's account of what happened. 

On Wednesday, American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California issued a statement saying in 2015, they filed suit against the city and county of San Francisco for an incident involving three plain clothes officers, including Cabillo. 

They say a 23-year-old man was being dropped off in the city's South of Market. ACLU claims the victim in this case, Travis Hall, was dragged by the officers out of the vehicle, beaten and not told why he was being questioned. 

Hall suffered a concussion, cuts and bruises from the incident and ACLU received compensation for Hall's emotional and physical abuse. They said it is not clear if Cabillo was ever disciplined for that incident. 

In the North Beach shooting, Cabillo approached a group of four people around 12:15 a.m. near the corner of Grant Avenue and Vallejo Street. Cabillo was speaking to the group about having an open container of alcohol, police said.

During the brief conversation, one of the four group members, later identified as Barcenas, began to run on Grant Avenue, heading toward Green Street, according to police. 

As Cabillo chased after Barcenas, Barcenas allegedly drew a gun from his waist. After seeing Barcenas allegedly arm himself with a gun, Cabillo shot at Barcenas, striking him twice. 

Barcenas then fell to the ground, according to police.

After calling for medical assistance, Barcenas was taken to San Francisco General Hospital, where he was suffering from life-threatening injuries.

While the shooting remains under investigation, surveillance video appears to show that bullets struck Barcenas in his back. The shooting was caught on body-worn camera footage from Cabillo, as well as surveillance video from nearby buildings.

After the shooting, officers recovered the gun that was allegedly in Barcenas' possession, a Glock 45-caliber pistol, which was equipped with a laser light and had 26 rounds, police said.

Barcenas was taken into custody on suspicion of carrying a concealed firearm, possession of a firearm by a felon, exhibiting a firearm to a police officer and resisting arrest. He remains in custody on $325,000 bail and is set to appear in court on June 25, according to jail records.

SFPD Body-cam video of shooting:  

OIS Case # 180427269 - BWC Footage of Officer #1 from San Francisco Police on Vimeo.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories