Alameda County firefighters called after chemical mixture gets too hot

(photo: Alameda County Fire Department)

Employees of a biotechnology lab were mixing chemicals Monday afternoon in Emeryville when things got too hot, Alameda County Fire Department officials said.  

Firefighters responded at 2:55 p.m. to biotechnology company Joint BioEnergy Institute where a fire was contained to a fume hood, fire spokesperson Brian Centoni said. 

A hazardous materials team was also called. Centoni said no one was injured and no one had to shelter in place. 

A building was evacuated and sprinklers went off. 

The hazmat team was evaluating some runoff as of late Monday afternoon. 

An earlier version of this story incorrectly identified the biotechnology company involved in this incident.