Castro Valley man arrested in bloody murders of mother, stepfather

A 33-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder for allegedly beating his mother and stepfather to death inside a Castro Valley mobile home earlier this week, an Alameda County sheriff's spokesman said Thursday.

Sgt. Ray Kelly said investigators believe that Stephen Tyler Thompson of Castro Valley used some sort of blunt object to kill his mother, 57-year-old Lori Thompson, and his stepfather, 46-year-old James Hamilton, at their residence at the Chetwood Crest Mobile Home Park at 3913 Castro Valley Blvd. some time late Sunday night or early Monday morning.

He said deputies found the victim's bodies at about 11:30 a.m. on Monday after a relative went to the mobile home to check on the couple and discovered what he described as "a gruesome crime scene."

Kelly said, "There was blood and gore and it appeared that something heinous had occurred inside" so the relative called 911.

Deputies found Hamilton's body in a bedroom and Lori Thompson's body in another room in the back of the small trailer, he said.

Deputies also found Stephen Thompson lying on a bed, possibly suffering from an overdose of drugs, according to Kelly.

In addition, deputies found three dogs live in the mobile home, he said.

Investigators don't know why the double-slaying occurred and "are trying to figure out why and how this happened," Kelly said.

Stephen Thompson, who has no criminal history, was treated at a hospital after the incident but was released today and is now being held at the Santa Rita Jail in Dublin without bail, Kelly said.

In addition to two counts of murder, Thompson is being held on the special circumstance of allegedly committing multiple murders, according to Kelly.

On Friday, sheriff's investigators will present their report on the double-slaying to the Alameda County District Attorney's Office, which will decide whether to file charges against Thompson, Kelly said.

Lori Thompson and Hamilton were in a domestic partnership for 20 years and it appears that Stephen Thompson lived with them most of the time, although he would go back and forth to another place, according to Kelly.

Stephen Thompson had a job working for a relative in the restaurant business, Kelly said.