HAYWARD, Calif. (KTVU) -- A new military directive will bring new security measures to recruiting centers and other facilities in the U.S. in the wake of the shooting attacks that left five servicemen dead in Tennessee last week.
Military officials would not discuss specific details except to say that security at thousands of sites is being beefed up.
Critics have urged the Defense Department to authorize one person in each center to serve as armed security or install bulletproof glass, but so far military officials have brushed off those calls.
Thursday's attack in Tennessee was the ninth time in six years members of the U.S Military have dealt with such violence.
As families of the five killed continue to mourn their losses, debate grows over how best to enhance security at military sites.
"We have to do everything we can across the country to protect our military personnel," said East Bay Congressman Eric Swalwell.
He says security must be beefed up and that a plan needs to be put in place to address threats to facilities.
"I think we need to look at bullet proof windows for recruiting centers, perhaps having a security presence there, but I think we also have to be smart about it," Swalwell said. "We're not North Korea. We don't have our military in the streets carrying arms."
The issue of arming personnel is being pushed by some members of Congress, but some state officials aren't waiting on Washington..
The governors of at least six states including Florida, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Indiana have ordered National Guard Members to carry guns.
"I will not permit our citizen soldiers to be unable to defend themselves and our citizens across the state," said Indiana Governor Mike Pence.
KTVU reached out to Governor Brown to see if California will follow suit, but did not hear back.
A spokesman for the California National Guard said that a security review of the half dozen recruitment centers in the state is already underway.
"We take the safety of our service members very seriously," said Captain Jan Bender. "It's a top priority and as such two months ago the Adjunct General of the California National Guard ordered a top down review of forced protection measures at installations across the state."