SF's Oceanview neighborhood improves violent image

The man accused of killing a 65-year-old grandmother in San Francisco's Oceanview neighborhood made his first court appearance today after being arrested Tuesday.

Police say the area of Plymouth Avenue and Broad Street, where the murder happened nearly six months ago was notorious for gang activity and crime. This past spring, however, the city installed neighborhood cameras as a crime deterrent and it seems to be working.

"I believe all in all we have 16 cameras located throughout the neighborhood and we have eight license plate readers," said Captain Denise Flaherty, whose station oversees the area.

"We have seen a significant decrease in calls for service to this area,specifcally violent crimes," said Capt. Flaherty.

That's good news considering that from October 2016 through March 2017, the Oceanview neighbhorhood saw three homicides near Plymouth and Broad.

The most recent killing was 65 year old Lian Xiu Wu, who police describe as an innocent bystander, caught in gang crossfire while she was simply trying to walk to the bus stop.

"She came all the time," said Thelma Orozco, owner of Ana's market on Broad. "We miss her."

Neighbors were relieved when police caught Wu's accused killer, 24 year old Jonathan Santos soon after the shooting. He was later released but this Tuesday arrested again and appeared in court Thursday on murder charges.

The District Attorney's Office filed a murder charge, three counts of attempted murder and five counts of assault with a semiautomatic firearm against Santos, who shook his head in court today as the charges were read.

Two other men were shot during the March incident.

Within 4-6 weeks of Wu's killing, the city put in the cameras to try to deter crime.

"At midnight it's very quiet," said Orozco.

Police say there have only been three "violent calls"since the high definition cameras went up,

All of those calls, including a "shots fired", domestic violence call and assault with a gun, were all deemed to have no merit.

"I'd say that' pretty significant!" said Capt. Flaherty.
Orozco agreed.

"[I'm] not nervous right now, you know, now my customers come- [they feel] secure."

The neighborhood cameras sadly came too late for Wu and her family.

Judge Donna Little set Santos's bail at $2 million. Santos should enter a plea next Monday at 9 a.m.