Breonna Taylor's attorney on grand jury decision: 'outrageous and offensive'

The attorney representing the family of Breonna Taylor slammed the Kentucky grand jury's decision on Wednesday to indict only one out of three officers involved in the case calling it "outrageous and offensive."

The grand jury announced Wednesday its decision to indict former Louisville police officer Brett Hankinson on three counts of wanton endangerment in the first degree, but not to charge the two other involved officers. The decision comes six months after the fatal shooting of Breonna Taylor on March 13. 

Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron said, "According to Kentucky law, the use of force by (Officers Jonathan) Mattingly and (Myles) Cosgrove was justified to protect themselves,” Adding, “This justification bars us from pursuing criminal charges in Miss Breonna Taylor’s death."

The charges against Hankinson are in relation to him firing into Taylor's neighbors home during a raid, not for the young woman's death. The FBI is still investigating potential violations of federal law in the case.

Civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump tweeted shortly after the decision that the wanton endangerment charges against Hankison weren't enough. He murder should have been on the list of charges announced.

Taylor, an emergency medical worker, was shot multiple times by officers who entered her home using a no-knock warrant during a narcotics investigation on March 13. The warrant used to search her home was connected to a suspect who did not live there, and no drugs were found inside. The use of no-knock warrants has since been banned by Louisville’s Metro Council.

Hankinson was fired June 23. A termination letter sent to him by interim Louisville Police Chief Robert Schroeder said the white officer violated procedures by showing “extreme indifference to the value of human life” when he “wantonly and blindly” shot 10 rounds of gunfire into Taylor’s apartment.

Hankison, Sgt. Johnathan Mattingly, officer Myles Cosgrove and the detective who sought the warrant, Joshua Jaynes, were placed on administrative reassignment after the shooting.

The grand jury decided not to indict the two other officers who fired their weapons.

Some prominent figures and public officials began expressing frustration immediately after the decision was announced. Civil rights activist Linda Sarsour tweeted, "Justice has NOT been served."

Since Taylor's March death, protesters across the country have since demanded justice for Taylor and other Black people killed by police in recent months.

In preparation for potential protests following the  grand jury's announcement, Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer announced a curfew from 9 p.m. Wednesday until 6:30 a.m. Thursday.