SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A former Stanford University graduate student has been charged with trying to poison several classmates.
A complaint filed in November says 26-year-old Xiangyu Ouyang tampered with the water bottles of fellow lab students four times last year. The students told police that their drinking water smelled funny, and some reported a burning sensation after drinking.
At least one student reported a serious adverse reaction. Students were exposed to paraformaldehyde, a chemical that can cause skin irritation, respiratory illness and even death.
Ouyang, who acknowledged tampering with two water bottles, told police she was sorry and didn't mean to harm others. She said she had suffered from insomnia and dizziness.
Her attorney, Jeff Hayden, didn't immediately respond to a phone call seeking comment.