SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Tensions are mounting in Santa Clara, and so are allegations of sexual misconduct against city councilman Dominic Caserta.
Last week, four police reports had been filed against him. The mayor says that number has grown to nine.
Now she is calling for his resignation.
Mayor Lisa Gillmor said, "It's not going to be tolerated and it's not going to go away. And the best thing he can do for our community is to resign and maybe the victims can start healing and the community can start healing from this terrible shock."
Gillmor said Caserta will be given the opportunity to defend himself at tomorrow's city council meeting.
The council will then consider officially admonishing and censuring him. They do not have the ability to remove him outright.
Gilmor says, "I don't recall in any of the history of Santa Clara where the allegations are serious enough that we've had to take these steps. And we want to take them and we want to take them immediately."
Meanwhile a citizens group is calling for Caserta's billboards to come down.
Caserta, a high school civics teacher, has been running for Santa Clara County Supervisor
Lydia Jungkind was working for his campaign, when she said he began touching her legs and massaging her shoulders against her will.
She said she's saddened to hear eight others have filed police reports as well. Leaked memos show complaints of inappropriate conduct at Santa Clara High School dating back to 2002.
"He's a liar. He doesn't want to admit what he's done and I think he should finally admit the truth and admit what he did," Jungkind said.
While Caserta did not respond to these latest developments, just last week he spoke to KTVU saying he'd fight to clear his name.
Dominic Caserta said Thursday, "I have every intention of continuing my campaign. I'm sad this is happening 29 days when this came out, before my election."
The city council will take up the matter at tomorrow's meeting which begins at 7pm.