94-year-old dies at facility after consuming unknown substance

The Contra Costa County coroner is investigating the death of a 94-year-old resident of an assisted living facility in Walnut Creek, nine days after ingesting an unknown substance.  

This is the second death of a resident that appears connected to ingesting a harmful substance at a Bay Area facility run by Atria in recent days.

In the first incident, a 93-year-old woman died at an Atria property in San Mateo, and two others were hospitalized after being served dishwashing liquid instead of juice. San Mateo police and the California Department of Social Service are investigating this death.

Atria told KTVU that the resident at its Walnut Creek site "passed away due to unknown causes," but added, "at this time we believe it was likely food related."

The resident who died had a "negative reaction" on August 23 and was transferred to a hospital, Atria said. 

Atria said it is conducting an internal investigation and has suspended an unspecified number of staff members who were involved. 

"We were initially notified that the resident was doing well, but sadly yesterday he passed away," Atria said in its statement. "Our sincerest condolences are with his family and loved ones."