Husband of fallen soldier who was deported returns to Phoenix

Image 1 of 2

PHOENIX (FOX 10) -- The husband of a fallen U.S. soldier who was deported has returned to Phoenix. Jose Gonzalez Carranza, 30, was arrested on April 8 while on his way to work and deported two days later to Mexico, according to his lawyer.

It was supposed to be a typical start to the week for Jose Arturo Gonzalez Carranza.

"When I go to work.. a normal day for me. Get out of my house, going to work, get out in the community. Then the first thing I see, like the lights. Then I go to the side.. think it's a normal cop, you know. Go to the side. Then, when I parked, the next thing I see is six, seven cops pointing at me with a weapon, you know. Pulling me away to my car. Pointing a weapon at my head," said Carranza.

It was Immigration and Customs Enforcement and they were arresting him with plans to immediately deport him.

Carranza's attorney says his client was under scrutiny, but he never knew.

"We were just not okay with him not being notified that he was under proceedings and that he didn't go to court hearings that he didn't know. Then taken down by a criminal by multiple individuals with weapons," said Ezequiel Hernandez.

"I feel like two different things.. very frustrated, but very happy at the same time and I say well, if you let me go, I can see my daughter again, but if you put me in jail, it will be more frustrating for me and I can't see my daughter again," said Carranza.

The lack of communication has been frustrating -- something that continued all the way until he returned to the U.S. on April 15.

"They haven't said anything. When they contacted our office, one of our attorneys here. They asked if we could locate our client and have him go to the port of entry within an hour and we agreed." 

ICE has not released any information as to why Carranza is being returned to the United States.

Hernandez says Carranza was released on an order of supervision, meaning he'll have to check back in with ICE coming up in mid-May.

In the meantime, an immigration court will review his case and will decide whether to reinstate his parole in place status, which would allow him to live and work in the U.S.

Carranza's late wife, U.S. Army Pfc. Barbara Vieyra was killed on Sept. 18, 2010, while serving in Afghanistan. She was 22.