Manslaughter charge in crash that killed Apple engineer

Image 1 of 2

Here's KTVU crime reporter Henry Lee's Rap Sheet blog for April 5, 2016:

MANSLAUGHTER CHARGE IN FATAL CRASH: An El Granada man was charged today with vehicular manslaughter and hit-and-run after he killed a driver in a head-on crash and then ran into the woods, authorities said.

On March 27, Tom Doane, 46, was driving his pickup truck on the 7400 block of La Honda Road when he crossed into the opposing lane and collided head-on into a Honda Civic driven by 46-year-old Francois Jouaux, an Apple software engineer, authorities said.

Doane's truck rolled over the Honda, killing Jouaux, according to California Highway Patrol investigators.

Doane got out of his truck and said, "I need to die...I really just need to die," according to a witness, authorities said. He then fled into the woods with a "heavily bleeding left hand and arm," said San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe.

A search for him was unsuccessful. 

But Doane was the registered owner of the truck, and he showed up 18 hours after the crash at Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Redwood City to get his arm treated, authorities said.

Doane remains at the hospital after undergoing surgery but will be transferred to San Mateo County Jail in Redwood City once he's medically cleared. His bail has been set at $1 million.

FATAL DOG-MAULING CONVICTION UPHELD: A state appeals court today upheld the involuntary-manslaughter conviction of a Concord man whose three pit bulls fatally mauled his 2-year-old stepgrandson in the garage of their home in 2010.

Steven Hayashi was sentenced to three years' probation after also being convicted of child endangerment and owning a mischievous animal that killed Jacob Bisbee at their home on Trailcreek Court.

The sentence was handed down by Judge John Kennedy of Contra Costa County Superior Court in Martinez after a bench trial.

In his appeal, Hayashi argued that "insubstantial evidence supports the trial court’s findings." The state appeals court disagreed.

Kennedy, the trial judge, said Hayashi had ignored "daily pleas" by his wife and Jacob's father to remove his five dogs, all pit bull mixes, from the home the extended family shared.

On the morning of July 22, 2010, Hayashi was designated as the caretaker for Jacob and his brother, who was 2 years older - the usual practice while his wife slept after a night shift.

But Hayashi went out to play tennis with his son, leaving Jacob and his brother unsupervised, prosecutors said.

Authorities said Hayashi did not lock the door to the garage, telling police later that while the boys could open the door, they usually stayed in their room. Jacob wandered in, though, finding Sadie and her pups, Kiwi and Jake. Hayashi's two other pit bulls were in the backyard.

In a 911 call that was played during the trial, the screams of Hayashi's wife are heard in the background as she discovers Jacob. Asked if the boy was breathing, Leticia Hayashi said no.

You can see Henry Lee daily on KTVU. If you have a tip for Henry, send an email to or contact him on Twitter