RICHMOND, Calif. (KTVU) - After 12 hours, a shelter-in-place because of poor air quality was lifted early Wednesday morning after a fire at Sims Metal Management.
Residents in the Santa Fe, Atchison Woods, Iron Triangle and North Richmond neighborhoods were told they could move about at 4 a.m.
The blaze was first reported at 5:08 p.m. at 600 South Fourth Street , said Richmond Fire Department Capt. Rico Rincon. According to Rincon, a pile of scrap metal about 20-feet high somehow caught fire and send huge plumes of toxic, black smoke into the air.
The Contra Costa County Hazardous Materials Incident Response Team was sent to monitor the air quality.