1-alarm fire displaces SF Tenderloin residents; closes restaurant indefinitely

Fire officials said a fire this morning in a restaurant flue will displace some residents of a three-story building in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood, fire officials said.

The first report of the one-alarm fire came in at 11:11 a.m. Fire officials initially said the fire was in a second-floor lightwell, but later clarified it was in a flue at Chutney, a restaurant on the ground floor at 511 Jones St.

The flames were contained to the flue and were extinguished at about 11:45 a.m., fire department spokesman Jonathan Baxter said.

No one was injured in the fire, Baxter said.

The two floors above the restaurant are single-room occupancy residential units and firefighters have determined that residents of two units will have to find temporary homes, Baxter said.

He didn't know how many people lived in those units. Firefighters will call the American Red Cross to help the displaced residents, Baxter said.

The restaurant will be closed indefinitely, he said.