Attorney: Vallejo woman was victimized twice after police called kidnapping hoax

VALLEJO, Calif. (KTVU) -- Vallejo's strange kidnapping case, declared a hoax by police, has triggered a fiery response from the victims' attorneys.

"This is no hoax, this is no laughing matter," declared Douglas Rappaport, Thursday evening at his San Francisco law office. "Denise Huskin was the victim of a very serious assault."

Without divulging details, Rappaport defended Huskins' integrity, and said she has been victimized twice, once by her kidnappers, and a second time by the Vallejo Police department.

"They quickly threw her under the bus, and threw the bus on her, but this was a legitimate crime," insisted Rappaport, "she is one hundred percent a victim."

The only glimpse of 29-year-old Huskins came just past 5 p.m. as she left the Police Department after six hours of questioning.

She held a jacket over her face, taking pains not to be seen, and investigators shielded her, after last night portraying her as a faker.

"Mr. Quinn and Miss Huskins plundered valuable resources from our community," accused Police Lt. Kenny Park in a press conference Wednesday night.

Park berated the two for triggering an exhaustive search and investigation, when there was no evidence their kidnap for ransom claim was legitimate.

"We've spent 24 hours a day on what I will classify as a wild goose chase," he complained.

The alleged kidnapping happened between 2-3 a.m. Monday at the Aaron Quinn's Mare Island home, which the couple shared.

Huskins claimed her alleged abductors freed her near her parents' homes four hundred miles away in Huntington Beach Wednesday.

"He cried, he cried when he heard she was safe," described Quinn's attorney Amy Morton, "the stress on this young man's face, I've never seen anything like it."

Attorneys for Quinn say his priority has always been Huskins' safe return, and that he cooperated with police in every way.

They said the eleven hour delay in his reporting the crime, was due to being tied-up and incapacitated.

"He was forced to drink something that even the kidnappers told him was drugged," explained lawyer Daniel Russo, "he was drugged and there were at least two kidnappers."

Russo said after willingly submitting to interrogation, searches, DNA testing and a blood draw to confirm his drugging, Quinn is now in seclusion with his family.

"He has basically died and gone to hell," Russo declared, "He is in terrible shape. He is exhausted, mentally and physically".

Huskin's whereabouts, after her protective escort from the Police Department, are unknown, and her attorney refuses to say.

But he insists her ordeal is genuine.

"She's emotionally and physically broken," said Rappaport," and the fact that she's been designated as a suspect only hurts her further."

Rappaport would not answer, when asked if Huskins was drugged.

He revealed she did not know her kidnappers, but he would not provide any description of them.

The other detail he disputes is the reported ransom demand of $8,500, an amount he says doesn't make sense.

He insisted Vallejo Police exonerate her and search for what he called the "true suspects."

The Police Department has had no response to the claims by both camps.