NEW YORK (FOX 5 NY) - The NYPD says an 11-year-old boy was found dead inside of a Brooklyn row home on New Year's Day and it may have been from an allergic reaction to the smell of cooking fish.
It happened on 82nd Street just before 7:30 p.m. EMS was called for a report of an unconscious boy at the Canarsie home.
The rescue crews found Camron Jean-Pierre unconscious and unresponsive. They took him to Brookdale Hospital but it was too late.
There were multiple reports that the boy's family told police they were cooking fish when he had an allergic reaction. Although rare, there are cases of children having life-threatening anaphylactic reactions to the smell of certain foods while they are cooking.
The medical examiner's office will determine the exact cause of death. Police said the investigation was continuing.