Dog owners warned of possible poisoned pet food left along San Jose trail

SAN JOSE, Calif. (KTVU) - Visitors of a popular South Bay trail are being extra cautious after a dog owner suspects her Labrador Retriever ate poison.

It happened Tuesday at the Three Creeks Trail in the Willow Glen neighborhood of San Jose.

San Jose Animal Control Services is now investigating it as a possible case of animal cruelty.

Like most dogs, 4-year-old Oreo couldn't wait to go out for her daily walk.

However, the walk along Three Creeks Trail may have put her in harm's way.

Christy Lasserre said that's where her dog came across dry cat food laced with white powder.

After Oreo ate it, Lasserre immediately took her to the vet and got her stomach pumped.

"Cat food and white powder on top which the vet believed had strychnine in it," said Lasserre. "They can't test it right now but hopefully the city will."

Strychnine is a poison used to kill rodents. Lasserre believes whoever did it left poison out to control a growing feral cat population in the neighborhood.

On Wednesday, San Jose Animal Control Services was out along the trail collecting evidence.

"If you did walk with your dog on that trail within the last week or two, make sure you watch your dog," said Capt. Jay Terrado of San Jose Animal Care and Services. "If you have any concerns go to your medical provider."

Animal Control Services is sending the substance to a lab.

Lasserre took to social media to alert her neighbors. Many other dog owners said they're veering away from this trail and not taking any chances.

"Living so close and as a father of a two-year-old daughter we take family walks through there," said Justin Grap of San Jose. "We don't want her touching this poison or anything that's laid out there for no reason."

"I'm very grateful that she's safe and the vets were there to take care of her," said Lasserre. "We need to have this stopped."

Lasserre ended up spending more than $300 for the emergency medical visit.