Former Fauci adviser pleads guilty to concealing COVID records

Published August 19, 2026 11:20 AM PDT

A former adviser to Dr. Anthony Fauci pleaded guilty this week to conspiring to conceal public records linked to grant research funding and the COVID-19 pandemic. 

According to Reuters, Dr. David Morens entered his guilty plea in federal court in Maryland Tuesday. 

Who is David Morens?

What we know:

Morens, 78, worked under Fauci as a senior official at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases during the pandemic. Fauci was director of the NIAID for 38 years and became a public figure during the U.S. pandemic response.

FILE: Dr. David Morens appears during a House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Pandemic hearing on Capitol Hill on May 22, 2024 in Washington, DC. A former top adviser to former National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Dr.

Morens was indicted in April and accused of trying to conceal public records requests about COVID-19 research grants at the start of the pandemic. Prosecutors say when the National Institutes of Health canceled a research grant for bat coronavirus, Morens worked to get the grant restored and counter public claims that COVID-19 came from a lab leak. 

He also reportedly corresponded using his personal email account to avoid Freedom of Information Act requests. 

What they're saying:

"By pleading guilty today, Dr. Morens has taken responsibility for what he did, ​and he will continue to do so," Morens’ lawyer Timothy Belevetz said in a statement to Reuters. 

What's next:

He faces up to five years in prison when he is sentenced ​on November 12.

The backstory:

Morens’ guilty plea comes two weeks after Fauci ​appeared before a Senate panel last month and repeatedly invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination. Fauci accused Republican Sen. Rand Paul, a longtime Fauci critic, of an "unhinged" campaign to see him put in prison. 

RELATED: Dr. Fauci held in contempt of Congress by Senate committee

COVID-19 origins

Dig deeper:

The origins of the COVID-19 pandemic are still contested. In 2023, the FBI concluded that a leak from a Wuhan, China laboratory was likely to blame, but China denied those claims. 

In January 2025, the CIA said with "low confidence" that a lab leak was likely, but for other intelligence agencies and the National Intelligence Council believe the pandemic began with natural transmission from an animal. 

The Source: This article includes information from Reuters and previous FOX Local reporting.

Crime and Public SafetyPoliticsCoronavirus