SAN FRANCISCO - San Francisco police on Monday announced the arrest of 10 people in connection with a string of about 60 home burglaries over the last year and a half in the city’s Bayview, Ingleside and Taraval districts.
Since November 2017, the “serial burglary crews” stole at least 11 firearms, hundreds of pieces of jewelry, cash, credit cards, passport and car keys valued at $3 million, police said at a news conference touting the department’s new burglary unit.
Police say they believe at least 20 more suspects are outstanding. Their typical modus operandi: Drive up to a home in a car with paper plates, force their way through locked gates by breaking front and rear doors, stealing items while residents were either home or not.
Police say surveillance video from a neighbor’s home that shows some of the burglars running outside into an awaiting silver SUV helped them develop leads.
In the last 90 days, police served search and arrest warrants in San Francisco, Oakland, Antioch, Brentwood and Las Vegas. Nine of the 11 stolen guns were recovered, police said. And in a search warrant in Brentwood last week, police said, four more guns were found, including two that were stolen in separate burglaries in Fremont and Reno, Nevada.
San Francisco Police Chief William Scott said burglaries in these neighborhoods have dropped since the arrests were made. He showed a map of the neighborhoods revealing that in January, there were 130 reported burglaries, which dropped to 93 in March.
The ten arrested to date in this burglary series are:
• Demarria Conley, 23, of Antioch, charged with conspiracy, burglary, possession of stolen property, and resisting arrest.
• Steve Levy of Oakland, charged with firearms violations.
• Jabari Jackson, 44, of San Francisco, charged with multiple counts of possession of stolen property and vehicle theft.
• Kelvon Watts, 25, of San Francisco, charged with assault with great bodily injury and elder abuse.
• Marshay Goodspeed, 33, of Antioch, charged with burglary and reckless evasion.
• Jimmy Heard, 26, of San Francisco, charged with burglary and destruction of evidence.
• Corey McCroey, 26, of San Francisco, charged with burglary and destroying evidence.
• Mandela Mabrey, 25, of Marin City, charged with resisting arrest and a warrant.
• Melvin Glaspie, 40, of San Francisco, charged with burglary and destroying evidence.
• Marcus Broussard, 46, of San Francisco, charged with firearms violations, possession of stolen property and narcotics violations.