San Jose police investigate quadruple murder-suicide

Image 1 of 11

San Jose police are investigating a quadruple murder-suicide, which included a standoff that started Sunday night and ended early Monday morning: A total of four victims died and the shooter.

Police were called about 8:40 p.m. Sunday to house in the 500 block of Habbitts Court, near the Los Lagos Golf Course southeast of downtown San Jose.

Police said that when officers arrived with a Bearcat armored vehicle, they were able to get one man and one woman out of the house. They were each suffering from at least one gunshot wound, said Sgt. Enrique Garcia. Both victims were taken to a local hospital for treatment. They told police that a family member had shot them and was still in the house, police said. Both died at hospitals a short time later, Garcia said.

Two other women and the suspect were still unaccounted for, and at 1:25 a.m., police entered the home to find all three dead. "It appears the suspect shot the four victims before committing suicide by shooting himself," Garcia said. "There are no outstanding suspects."

These are the city's 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th homicides of 2019.

"I heard gunshots. Then I took my kid and wife into the master bedroom," said neighbor Alan Bui.

Bui said he was in his backyard with his 5-year-old son when the shots rang out. He said he heard an argument before five to six shots were fired. Bui said his neighbor hopped the fence to escape from her husband who was chasing her.

"The wife jumped the fence and ran into my house. Then she locked the door in my kid's room while we were in the master bedroom. Then I ran outside and I closed all the doors and then I saw him asking and looking for his wife," said Bui.

Neighbor Mario Libed, who had returned home from Hawaii, said he was told to stay inside his home.

"I saw a lot of police officers with rifles," he said.

As the sun came up, the scene was still active with yellow crime scene tape surrounding the residential area. 

Police say the suspect's wife, daughter and niece were able to escape. They are investigating the quadruple murder-suicide as a domestic incident. Investigators say the gunman had no documented history of domestic violence, and they still don't know what caused him to open fire on his family members.