SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - South San Francisco originated in the late 19th century as a site for the establishment of stockyards and a market place for cattle.
Located on the western shore of the San Francisco Bay, in northern San Mateo County, South San Francisco had its beginng in 1890 in the capitalist mind of Peter E. Iler, a wealthy whiskey maker from the Midwest.
Incorporated in 1908, the city soon experienced an influx of other industries which included a large shipbuilding industry to support the two World Wars.
Over the next few years, a considerable portion of its real estate was devoted to industries which included manufacturing, wholesaling, transportation facilities and utilities.
One of the most recognizable companies, See's Candies, the world-famous chocolate company continues to make its fabulous chocolates inside it's South City factory.
In a 1928 special election, voters approved a property tax increase to fund the construction of huge concrete letters on the side of San Bruno Mountains proclaiming, "SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO THE INDUSTRIAL CITY."
Today, with a population of more than 63,000 people, a thriving biotech community anchors the city's economy. Its home to the largest biotech cluster in the world, with over 200 biotech companies… including industry giants such as Genentech and Amgen.